Maryland’s crime rate is the lowest it has been since the 1970’s and passing into law one of the most stringent gun control measures in the country is a win
Maryland’s crime rate is the lowest it has been since the 1970’s and passing into law one of the most stringent gun control measures in the country is a win. However, we must continue to work hard streamline the criminal justice system, address overcrowding in our state correctional facilities, improve security while supporting programs for the rehabilitation of prisoners. We must also invest in our police force and provide necessary and appropriate safety officials and reinforced security measures at our schools.
Bills I sponsored/co-sponsored:
• HB448, Education – Residential Boarding Education Programs for At-Risk Youth – Funding, requires funds for transportation, boarding, and administrative costs for at-risk youth in residential boarding education programs.
• HB666, Courts – Peace Orders – Penalties, alters penalty for second offence in grating temporary and final peace orders.
• HB1128, Criminal Law – Sexual Crimes – Definitions.
• HB589, Criminal Law – Controlled Dangerous Substances – Mephedrone, lists Mehepdrone as schedule 1 controlled dangerous substance.
• HB1272, Public Health – Electronic Cigarettes – Distribution to Minors Prohibited, prohibits sale of electronic cigarettes that can deliver nicotine to minors.
• HB349, Criminal Law – Misdemeanor Possession of Child Pornography – Statute of Limitations, increase prosecution time from 1 to 2 years for possession of child pornography.